Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering the day of September 11th 2001 Part 1













Any other first day of the NFL season, I would be cheerful and excited to watch my beloved Ravens play and also watch football in general. Today however, I won't be cheering nor celebrating like I normally do. Since opening day around the league falls on the 10th anniversary of 911, I can't help not to think that it would be somehow disrespectful to not fully remember what this day is all about. I love football, but football is just a game. Remembering 911 takes higher priority over that. I'll get back into football mode next Sunday, but this Sunday I just want to remember what happened ten years ago. I remember the events that happened just like it was yesterday. I was in my car coming home from a business appointment, when I heard the announcement over the radio that the first tower was struck by an airplane. I didn't think much of it at the time. I thought it might have been a small plane that crashed into one of the towers and then fell to the ground. When I got home and turned on the television just in time to see the second plane hit the south tower, I definitely knew wasn't the case.



I've always asked people on 911 where they were and what they were doing when they saw or heard what was happening. So if you care to share your experiences, please feel free. I was glued to my television for the rest of the day into the night. President Bush addressed the nation later that evening.



The saying goes "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it". I can only hope as a nation we became stronger and wiser from that experience.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the time, I was homeless and residing at the Salvation Army. I got dressed,and headed out the door to get ready for job searching at the unemployment office. A day before I lost my job at Target.

I was at my favorite convenient store getting a beverage, and two customers came in and were discussing about planes hitting the WTC. They never had the TV on at SA that morning.

The unemployment office was up the road and wasn't open yet. Two of its employees came driving up and I asked them if they heard anything about planes hitting the WTC. They too never heard. They turned on their car radio and the female employee was stunned.

The male employee who opened the doors and turned on the computers and immediately went online and saw the pictures and it looked like he was about to fall out of his seat.

You mention the saying goes "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it". I can only hope as a nation we became stronger and wiser from that experience.

Its funny, after the attacks happen, I've noticed that everybody of different racial and ethnic background did not show any signs of prejudices to one another for a couple of weeks.

It wasn't until later that I read in the news and other reports that Indo-Americans were attacked and beaten up by thugs and were blamed for the attacks of 9-11. The victims in these attacks were Arabic nor Muslim.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home